Bolt Threads is looking for a hands-on scientist or engineer to play a key role on a multidisciplinary team leading process development, optimisation, and scale-up of its novel silk fibre spinning processes to manufacture novel silk protein fibers for the textiles and consumer apparel industry.
The ideal person will have strong technical fundamentals, practical experience in the design and execution of experiments, and a thorough knowledge of different fiber spinning processes and equipment.
- Lead the fibre spinning team in the development, scale-up and day-to-day operations of the fiber spinning process and equipment from dope mixing through winder
- Design and execute experiments, analyse data, write technical reports, and share progress during weekly meetings
- Work with R&D, Product Development, and Quality teams to develop and produce fiber products that meet our volume targets and quality specifications
- Design, select, procure, commission, start-up and operate fibre spinning equipment
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and preventative maintenance plans; lead or participate in safety reviews
- Work with Process and Project Engineering teams to develop processes and designs for commercial-scale fiber spinning facilities
- Support tech transfer to commercial-scale manufacturing facilities
- Make recommendations on staffing and equipment needs
- Train, mentor, and coach junior team members
- Identify opportunities for constant improvement and IP generation